The other day I was telling a good friend of mine that I can “Sleep On Demand”. Meaning that when I tell myself I am going to sleep, I do it. I don’t suffer the insomnia everyone talks about. My friends even say that I am narcoleptic! I guess I am just lucky that way because for some people getting enough sleep is really a problem.
This Is Why Sleep Is Vital
Count Those Sheep
- A great sleeping environment: Make your bedroom a good place to sleep. It should be nice and quiet and try to get the right temperature.
- Try and relax: Take hot bath or shower, or read a good book
- Get your breathing right: Breathing correctly and learning some good breathing techniques will help bring down the levels of cortisol in your body. Cortisol is a stress hormone that keeps you awake.
- Build a night time routine: Get into a night time ritual that you can follow before bedtime each night.
- Nicotine: This is a stimulant. Don’t smoke if you can’t fall asleep.
- Caffeine: Another stimulant that should not be taken 4-6 hours before sleep time.
- Heavy Meals: If you get hungry before bedtime, eat a light healthy snack
- Exercise: Try not to exercise too close to your bedtime.
So, don’t think you are the party pooper for leaving the party early. Sleeping is important to your health and well being.