The other day I was telling a good friend of mine that I can “Sleep On Demand”. Meaning that when I tell myself I am going to sleep, I do it. I don’t suffer the insomnia everyone talks about. My friends even say that I am narcoleptic! I guess I am just lucky that way because for some people getting enough sleep is really a problem.
This Is Why Sleep Is Vital
Count Those Sheep
- A great sleeping environment: Make your bedroom a good place to sleep. It should be nice and quiet and try to get the right temperature.
- Try and relax: Take hot bath or shower, or read a good book
- Get your breathing right: Breathing correctly and learning some good breathing techniques will help bring down the levels of cortisol in your body. Cortisol is a stress hormone that keeps you awake.
- Build a night time routine: Get into a night time ritual that you can follow before bedtime each night.
The Grinch That Stole Sleep
- Nicotine: This is a stimulant. Don’t smoke if you can’t fall asleep.
- Caffeine: Another stimulant that should not be taken 4-6 hours before sleep time.
- Heavy Meals: If you get hungry before bedtime, eat a light healthy snack
- Exercise: Try not to exercise too close to your bedtime.
So, don’t think you are the party pooper for leaving the party early. Sleeping is important to your health and well being.
Are you are doing some jogging/road running and need some inspiration? These songs will get you excited about putting on your trainers and going for that run!
This one always gets me going WITHOUT FAIL! CRAZY IN LOVE WITH RUNNING
I recently discovered this one and it really got me EXCITED to go running…the day BEFORE I actually went out running
You CAN’T NOT be inspired and excited when you hear this one! This song is ROCKY and it is for a real SURVIVOR! Makes me want to climb those stairs and do air punches for real!
This one is JUST FUN and you have to have a little bit of DISCO while running! RUN TO FUNKY TOWN!
And this one is just because, to my great dismay, I DIDN’T KNOW WHO Foster The People were! How could I not know???
What are some of your favourites? Post your video on our Facebook wall and share some inspiration!
I think I have a cheat day coming up soon so I have decided to make these cup cakes! I love cakes and sweet things so getting away from them is very hard for me…or should I say STAYING AWAY from cakes are hard for me.
And if I deprive myself of these things that I LOVE I know that I am going to go insane and cheat more often than I should.
The Reward Challenge
I use this cheat day system as a reward for my HARD work for 6 straight days of being really healthy.
However, this is the key: Don’t OVER INDULGE – even on the cheat day!
Don’t eat an entire pizza or KFC or whatever you choose to have. I still have foods that I love but in moderation. And I don’t have them all on one cheat day…that way I still have some other kind of food to look forward in the next 6 days as my REWARD!
This is a low calorie, high fibre coconut cupcake recipe!
Ingredients (12 mini cupcakes):
- 100 g coconut flour (100%)
- 1/4 teasppon baking powder
- 7 egg whites
- 1 egg
- 200-250ml water, you can also use milk, almond milk, yoghurt
- 30 g honey
How to do it:
- Put all the ingredients together in a bowl and mix
- wait 10 minutes and mix it all again
- put the mixture in a tin for cupcakes
- put it in a pre-heated oven at 180 °C for 45 to 60minutes
Also not forgetting NUTRITIONAL FACTS (1 Cupcake):
- Energy: 33 cal
- Protein: 3 g
- Carbohydrates: 2,3 g (sugar 2,3g)
- Fat: 1,3 g (saturated 1,3 g – wich are 70% mct’s, so good triglycerides)
- Fiber: 5 g
I hope you all try it and ENJOY them…if you have any recipes, please do share them.
There are days when I just feel like I can never get anything done and don’t have the time to prepare any meals or get my exercise in – do you get that too?
Putting Humpty Together Again
For the past few weeks I have been watching someone in my office do something I think is strange but now I am jumping on that wagon because it’s going to A) save me a hell of a lot of time and B) give me more time to sleep.
I usually prepare my breakfast for the next day, the evening before. Does this make sense? Well, I spend all this time making my favourite breakfast (omelettes). Preparing the ingredients, cutting, chopping and whisking.
For a few weeks I have been watching this guy bring all these ingredients (good vegetables) to work and making an omelette in the microwave. I thought it was crazy but now I see that it can save me so much time and get me to bed earlier instead of slaving away in the kitchen.
Here’s how it works:
- Egg whites or with yolk (which ever you prefer)
- 1 tablespoon shredded mozzarella cheese, ham, peppers, onion
- Then add whatever other vegetables you like – spinach, mushrooms, even asparagus.
- Take the eggs and place it in a bowl!
- Mix in the other ingredients.
- Place in microwave.
- Heat for 2-3 minutes (depending on the strength of your microwave).
- Let cool 30 seconds – 1 minute.
So, just pack your ingredients the night before, leave it on the kitchen counter and grab them on your way to work. It takes only 2 minutes to prepare and even less to gather the ingredients!
The Office Secret
I was visiting a good friend of mine, who is a rugby player and has an awesome physique, and we were talking about doing home exercises. I am very keen on the idea and am willing to do anything to get into shape. But I mentioned to him that I don’t have any equipment. He says to me that you DON’T NEED it! Well…at least at first! Until you can get a set of dumbbells, do some resistance training which uses your own body strength!
All good and well but when do I find the time to do all this? “At the office” he says…WHAT?
The Male WonderBra – Or at least “The Push Up”
- Set a goal for how many push ups you would like to do in one day.
- Divide them equally between the amounts of hours you spend at work.
- Find a place in your office that is quiet and where you can do your push ups.
- Do the allotted amount every hour.
I was stunned at the simplicity and the practicability of the idea! I have found my space in the office already.
Do you guys have any other tips for healthy living on the go?
I just realised that I don’t have a “friends with benefits” relationship in my life! Lots of people that I know have these types of situations and it got me thinking that I surely must be missing out on something right?
Someone with a GREAT body, full of ENERGY and who can GIVE it to every single time you NEED it!
If you were thinking Justin Timberlake and Mila Kunis – you are dead WRONG!
I realised that I don’t have a person or group of people who are encouraging me to be healthy and fit! And to be honest, I need that! I can motivate myself a little but I do need lots of encouragement. This leads me to the benefits part. I suddenly realised that I needed to make new acquaintances that are serious about living healthy and being fit. I did research, yes, going online does help in this endeavour! It is how I discovered one of my new friends, Revolution Nutrition FitClub, who is AWESOME!
The Hot & Sweaty Benefits
I am going to join the first workout session of the year today, with my new friend right there by my side for encouragement and “the benefits”. What might these benefits be you ask?
And yes…you will be hot and sweaty too!
Phone A Friend
Don’t forget, you don’t have to troll the net to make new friends! Simply ask and find out from your current ones if they want to be healthy and get in shape as much as you do. It’s a simple question which requires a simple answer. If the reply is too complicated, DON’T pursue it!
I was fortunate enough to have a friend who is totally willing to join me on the quest for good health and a better physique! Said friend will join me with my new friend tonight…
Make sure that you are getting the right BENEFITS from your FRIENDS! And in turn you will benefit them too.